SMU Cooling Tower Replacement, Dallas, TX
When Southern Methodist University and Brandt needed 12,000 tons of cooling tower installed over spring break of 2018, they turned to McMillan James Equipment company for both the cooling tower and the time sensitive installation of the cooling tower.
McMillan James provided a turnkey assembly of the cooling tower which included the following:
• Traffic Control on the SMU Campus
• Receiving 40 flatbeds of material onsite
• Concurrent use of a 550 ton and 90-ton crane
• One crew working partial assembly in a laydown yard while a second crew set the cooling tower sections on the support steel that had been erected by Brandt’s team.
• Full trim out of the cooling tower.
• Inlet and outlet piping exterior to the cooling towers was connected by Brandt
• Power to the fan motors and basin heaters was connected by the Electrical Contractor
• Factory Authorized start-up was performed by McMillan James.
• Commissioning was performed by Brandt with the assistance of McMillan James.
Southern Methodist University gave us the full 9 days of Spring Break to complete the crane work. Due to it taking one day to build the 550-ton crane and one day to tear it down, the St. Patrick’s day parade causing a potential pedestrian safety hazard on the final Saturday of the Spring Break window, and one bad weather day, we were left with only five days to use the cranes. We easily completed all required lifts in this five-day window.
Owner: Southern Methodist University
Mechanical Contractor: Brandt
Products Used: 6-Cell Marley “Everest” Cooling Tower Model NC8422
13,100 Ton Cooling Tower (39,300 GPM) connected to 12,000 Tons of chiller